Here are some other interesting destinations in the western U.S. for a day
or weekend trip.
- Grand Canyon
- A short ride from the main park entrance.
- Rent a car and drive 1/2 hour to Meteor
- Marble Canyon
- Located in the northeast corner of the Grand Canyon, Marble Canyon is a
tiny airport adjacent to a gas station, trading post, and motel. The Navajo
Bridge is a short walk down the highway. There are no other services for many,
many miles. See pictures.
- Sedona -
This town is located in gorgeous red rock country and provides a variety of
activities from jeep tours to horseback rides to hiking. See
- Tucson -
A quick drive to Sabino Canyon and the Saguaro National Park.
- Borrego Springs
- A desert vacation spot with jeep tours, hiking, horseback riding, and golf(!).
Near the Anza-Borrego
Desert State Park.
- Home of the Castle Air Museum,
including an SR-71.
- The classic place to go on an intro flight, Columbia
is nestled at the base of the Sierras and includes a path through the woods
into the town, where you can grab a bite to eat or see the Columbia
State Historic Park.
- Harris Ranch
- Probably the most famous $100 steak
in California. Excellent (if somewhat pricey) food and a resort hotel if you
want to spend the night.
- Oceano -
A short walk from Pismo Beach. Take a ride in a Hummer
over the dunes.
- Home of the 29er diner, a great place to stop for breakfast or lunch.
- Santa Barbara
- Famous beaches and many area activities. Stop at the Elephant Bar &
Restaurant on the field for lunch.
- Santa Ynez
- Just 4 miles from Solvang, a Danish town
that makes a great weekend getaway.
- South Lake Tahoe
- On the southern edge of Lake Tahoe with spectacular views of the lake during
approach. Conveniently located near the town of South Lake Tahoe and the Heavenly
- On the northern edge of Lake Tahoe. A shuttle bus makes regular service
to the town, and will also take you directly to the Northstar
- Home of the most unusual B&B I've ever seen, Kokopelli's
Cave. This B&B is actually blasted into the side of a cliff. When
you rent the B&B, you get 400 acres all to yourself with spectacular views.